adsense

Pengikut

leaderboard nuffnang

Rabu, 6 Jun 2012

Oldman's greenyard

My father turned 58 this year. He retired from his 36 years teaching profession two years ago and been a busier man ever since. As the more hair going grey every day, there’s one thing that has never change with him. That is his passion towards gardening.

I remember vividly when I was a small girl, my father worked hard making in our backyard garden to feast his passion. Back then, I used to munch into fresh cucumber just like that. He grew cucumber, bitter gourd, lady’s finger and many more. Believe it or not, the size of the cucumber is as big as an adult’s calf. There were too much for us. Therefore, we shared the harvest with our neighbors.
These are photos of my father’s green yard I took the last weekend. The Chinese celery bushes are the lushest.
He also grew basil which he took the seed secretly from Hospital Putrajaya’s herbal garden when I was admitted there two years ago. I think this one is the 5th or 6th generation grown here.
Here are some lemon grass bushes. My father once said “A (Malay) house is not complete without lemon grass bush”. I have four bushes of lemon grass grown at my yard. I didn’t even remember the last time I bought lemon grass stalk for cooking. My aunt from village even surprised I had lemon grass grown at the back of my kitchen (which she did have any), ready for home cooked every day meal.
These two young seedlings are ajwain’s. Again, my father secretly took the seed from a mature plant at Cameron Highland’s MARDI. At first, I was skeptical on the ability of the plant to survive in the hotter climate in the lowland. Surprisingly, it survived. Can’t wait to see they grow to bigger plant. Through my readings, ajwain or bishop’s seed are mainly used as herb in Pakistani’s cooking. It is also believe as one of lactogenic food. I will definitely try to cook a few dishes using this herb.
I think this one is lime tree. My father enjoys sipping chilled lime drinks in a hot weather evening.
Turmeric is one of many herbs in my father's green yard. Either the rhizomes or leaves are great for flavoring and coloring in almost Malay dishes.
This is one big ginger torch plant. The height of it has almost exceeding the tip of my parent’s house. It has produced a lot of flowers which my mother always uses it as one of main ingredients in making Assam dishes. I also planted one at my home and still a long way to go to reach this big. Mine was still two feet tall.
This empty plot was used to be filled with kailan, kangkung, round cabbage, chili, brinjal and many more. However, it was left bare unattended since December last year when my father had an accident. His leg was badly injured when one of the backpack grass cutter’s blade snapped and cut his right calf. It cut almost 70% through major blood vein in his calf. More than that, the doctor may have to amputate his right leg. That was his second time. The first time was almost 12 years ago where he injured his right toe.



posted from Bloggeroid

2 ulasan:

  1. best nyer semua menjadi ayah awk tanam...laman pun luas..sangat berangan nak macam nie..:D

    BalasPadam
    Balasan
    1. lama tepi yang kosong ayah biasa tanam sayur. masa pantang anak kedua hari tu dptla merasa sawi dgn kailan ayah hehe

      Padam

ads

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...